Every Turtle Tough product is thoroughly inspected and tested before leaving the factory and prior to shipping. In addition to any statutory rights and remedies you may have, Turtle Tough warrants all its products against defective workmanship and faulty materials for 12 months from the date of purchase and undertakes, at its option, to repair or replace, free of charge, each product or part thereof on condition that:
- The complete product is returned to Turtle Tough or one of its authorised service agents, in person or freight pre-paid by you, and found, on examination, to be suffering from a manufacturing defect.
- The product or relevant part has not been subject to misuse, neglect, or been involved in an accident.
- The repairs are not required as a result of normal wear and tear.
- Damage caused by wear and tear, inadequate maintenance, improper installation, corrosion, or by the effects of chemical processes is excluded from this warranty coverage.
Turtle Tough sensors are electrochemical devices and as such have a limited operating life. Life expectancy depends on the field of application such as the medium, pressure and temperature. It can vary between a number of weeks to several years. There are special cases in extreme environments where operating life will only be a few days. Characteristic and response time will also change with aging. As such electrochemical sensors are articles of consumption and are not subject to a common guarantee. Replacements or exchanges are generally excluded unless a manufacturing defect is determined to be the cause. It is not possible to predict the rate of deterioration for a particular process, nor can we provide a guarantee on sensor life because it is impossible to predict the rate of exposure, contamination and deterioration. Damage caused by wear and tear, inadequate maintenance, faulty installations, corrosion, or the effects of chemical processes is excluded from this warranty coverage. Our agents or representatives may provide you with a life expectancy guide based on similar applications we have experienced, however, this in no way constitutes a warranty of performance and is a general indicator.
Shelf Life Warranty
The standard shelf life for a Turtle Tough sensor is one year from the date of shipment. Sensors stored longer than this period may still be functional but are no longer under warranty. Sensors should be stored in a cool, dry location with the sensor tip (where the pH/ORP element is located) oriented toward the ground. All pH/ ORP/ISE sensors come standard with a conditioning solution in the cap. This conditioning solution is 50% pH 4 buffer and 50% saturated potassium chloride (mixed by volume). The sensor cap should be kept tightly affixed to the sensor body and sealed with common piping Teflon tape when the sensor is not in use. Sensors that are to be returned for a shelf-life warranty claim must have the original sensor cap and conditioning solution intact to be eligible for warranty replacement.
Damage to Internal Electronics
Damage to the sensor's internal electronic components is not covered under warranty. Analogue sensors with internal preamplifiers are sensitive to electrostatic discharge. Sensors with preamps are clearly marked and extra care must be taken when handling these sensors as human contact with the electrical connections can discharge static to the preamplifier causing it to blow. This will render the product inoperable. Additionally, sensors containing digital RS485 boards are susceptible to damage when powered incorrectly or improperly installed. Sensors containing internal electronic boards undergo additional quality checks prior to shipment to ensure that components are 100% operational upon delivery. Ground loop and 3rd party hardware problems (including but not limited to power supplies) may also cause blown electronics or damage to the sensor components and as such faulty installations are not covered by warranty.
IMPORTANT: Ground loops, poor earthing and faulty electrical installations are a common cause of sensor damage. If you are experiencing unusual or erratic readings, please refer to our support document on ground loops.
Damage to Cables and Connectors
Please note that integral sensor cables, connectors and plugs must NOT be cut, removed or modified in any way. Sensors contain sensitive internal electronics and our cables and connectors are designed to protect the integrity of these components. Any modification or alteration to cables and connectors can compromise their integrity and will void the warranty. Always use factory-approved/manufactured cables and connectors. Additionally, the cable contains a unique identifier laminated to the cable end and this must not be removed or it will also void the warranty.
For all return goods the following information must be included in the letter accompanying the returned goods:
- Model Code and Serial Number
- Original Purchase Order and Date
- Length of time in service and description of the process
- Description of the fault and circumstances of the failure
- Process/environmental conditions that may be related to the failure of the sensor
- Statement as to whether warranty or non-warranty service is requested
- Complete shipping and billing instructions for return of material, plus the name and phone number of a contact person that can be reached for further information
- Clean Statement: returned goods that have been in contact with process fluids must be decontaminated and disinfected prior to shipment. Goods should carry a certificate to this effect, for the health and safety of our employees. Material Safety Datasheets must be included for all components of the process to which the sensor(s) have been exposed.
All sensor returns are to be accompanied by a completed Return Material Authorisation Document219.55 KB clearly stating the reason for the return and with the Clean Statement filled in.
See the warranty and returns section under support on our website turtletoughsensors.com for details.
For technical support please contact our head office on +61 (0)3 9872 5055 or visit our website turtletoughsensors.com for information on sensor care, calibration, wiring and installation-related issues.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION about INTEGRATING DIRECT SMART SENSORS
TURTLE TOUGH DIRECT SMART SENSORS (DSS) are fully supported by a range of factory hardware solutions including SMART Analysers, Handheld Field Communicators, PC Communication tools and field implementation devices such as junction boxes, extensions leads and power supplies. This ecosystem provides a complete solution for reliable connectivity and sensor management.
TURTLE TOUGH sensors may also be directly interfaced with end-user hardware via the MODBUS RTU protocol. Integrating sensors directly into your industrial network requires a moderate to a high level of onsite expertise in system integration and should ONLY be undertaken by someone with the requisite experience. While direct integration provides some significant benefits, it also incurs a higher degree of risk as integrating with 3rd party hardware provides a lot of opportunities for unexpected issues to arise. 3rd party hardware includes any device or component not supplied by Turtle Tough and can include, but is not limited to, PLC's, SCADA systems, DCS's, data loggers, power supplies/isolators, or any other externally sourced interfacing device or component. We suggest you read the sensor implementation guide carefully to understand the full scope and requirement for installation, because:
- Turtle Tough Pty Ltd and its representatives can provide only limited factory support when integrating sensors with 3rd party hardware. Unexpected behaviour or damage as the result of 3rd party hardware is not the responsibility of Turtle Tough.
- Product support is limited to the information provided in our field implementation notes and guidelines. The product is fully supported for installation requirements, field implementation and programming protocols in direct relation to our product. It does not extend to the compatibility of our sensor with or the subsequent behaviour of 3rd party hardware. Due to the infinite amount of 3rd party hardware available we are unable to support issues related to 3rd party problems and it is the sole responsibility of the end-user to test and verify the compatibility of our product with their equipment.
- Turtle Tough and its representatives are unable to provide support on 3rd party hardware or provide troubleshooting on equipment not supplied by us. If you intend to integrate the sensor directly with your hardware, we highly recommend the following:
- Read the Field Installation Guide and Sensor Implementation Guide. Make sure you understand the requirements and please contact us if you require clarification or further information.
- Seek advice from your 3rd party hardware provider and make sure this equipment meets the minimum specification requirement outlined in our support documentation.
- Purchase a handheld field communicator (HFC) from Turtle Tough. This stand-alone device, self-powers the sensor and provides complete diagnostics and communication. The HFC allows us to independently test and verify the sensor performance, independent of your system or hardware and is the single fastest way to rule out any sensor performance issues and be able to identify field installation problems.
- Alternatively, you may purchase a windows PC interface box. Once again, this factory-supplied and tested component will ensure reliable communication with the sensor and it can be tested independently of your system.
- Please note that our quick connect plugs must never be removed or modified in any way. This will immediately void the warranty. Only use Turtle Tough factory interface leads or panel mount connectors to interface with your hardware.